Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Thats So Gay"


Today's blog topic is a very controversial one. Its about the phrase, "that's so gay." Each time i hear this demeaning and dreadful phrase it keeps up some negative vibe in my spirit. For those of you who are not familiar with the phrase, "that's so gay", it means or alternates something or situation that is stupid, lame or dumb.

Why does that situation, thing or person have to be referred to as gay in a negative way? Why could that not be substituted for something else like, that's so silly or that so dumb, or that's just lame? Its demeaning and disrespectful to any gay individual who hears it.

Sadly i was able to hear this horrid phrase first hand. During March of 2009 i attend a conference in Washington D.C. where i shard a hotel room with 3 other boys. 2 of the boys we of white decent, and the other boy and myself was of African American decent. On the day we were to attend the royal tour of the capital building I begun to get dressed. Now, when i get dressed, i get dressed in a specific order. I brush my teeth without my shirt on. Then when I'm finished i put on my shocks, then apply lotion to my skin, then put on my shirt, and so forth. So as i got dresses on of the boys who was of white decent noticed my was of getting dressed and muttered, "why you get dressed like that?" I stood in awe that he had had the balls to ask me that. I replied, "that's just how i do it." That's when he mumbled from his mouth the 3 words that tore me up inside, "THAT'S SO GAY." I simply replied, "whatever." At that time i was not in the mood for any confrontation, being that it was so early in the morning. I simply left the situation alone.

Now that i think back on what happened, it was so foolish of him to say something like that. Not only was it foolish it was disrespectful.

Concluding today's blog entry i wanna leave you with the thought. How you feel if someone said, " that's so straight!" Would that be more appropriate or better in some kind of sick, demented way? No! it wont. Its just bias and dumb. Think about it and think before you speak. You don't know who around you may happen to be gay and get highly offended.

I leave you with this useful tip, "Expand ya fuckin vocabulary and stop the hate!"

-Genesis

No comments:

Post a Comment